In 2010 the people of West Harris became the first community to purchase its crofting estate from the Scottish Government. On the 7225 ha estate there is a population of about 120 people, spread between the crofting townships of Losgaintir, Seilebost, Horgabost, Na Buirgh and Sgarasta Mhor. The area is nearly all under crofting tenure either as individual crofts or as common grazings. There are 52 individual crofts and 4 common grazings.
It is the belief of the trust that a long history of declining population and limited opportunities can be turned around by local endeavour and that there is a bright future for our community.
Our key aims:
- Revitalize the community by attracting new residents and creating new housing and employment opportunities
- Create environmentally sustainable energy for the community via small hydro and micro-wind projects
- Conserve and increase understanding of our stunning natural heritage
Current projects include:
- A 100kw small hydro scheme
- Design of office space, community facilities and housing near Horgabost
- Sale of plots for self-build by people moving into/returning to the area
Isle of Harris
Key contact: Duncan Macpherson