North Harris was purchased by the community in 2003. On the 25000 h.a. there is a population of about 800 people mainly in Tarbert but also in settlements along the shores of East and West Loch Tarbert and along Loch Seaforth. There are 124 crofts in the area, with about 50% of the total land in crofting tenure.
The population of whole of Harris halved between 1951 and 2001, schools closed, services were cut and jobs disappeared.
The North Harris Trust is the community body which now manages the estate on behalf of the people of North Harris. It is stopping this downward spiral and through various initiatives is starting to reverse that trend. To date, projects, sometimes with partners, include: –
- Provision of housing
- Provision of office accommodation
- Providing employment
- Land and deer management agreements
- Infrastructure development
- Improving access to more remote areas for visitors and locals
- Tackling fuel poverty
- Installing renewable energy
- Raising the profile of the area through the media
Tigh an Urrais
Isle of Harris
Key contact: Alastair Macleod